Mike Baker was born and raised playing sports in Southern California. Coach “Bake” followed his older brother Doug to San Bernardino Valley College before attending the University of Nevada on a baseball scholarship. Doug owns Baker Baseball Development in SoCal and continues to instruct MLB and youth players as well.
Prior to college Bake was selected to both play and teach baseball abroad as a USA Baseball Ambassador.
While at Nevada, Bake studied Physiology of Exercise and the biomechanics of movement before being selected by the Boston Red Sox in the Major League Baseball draft.
Following the end of his professional career, Bake returned to school and earned a degree in Sports Medicine from Guilford College and a Post – baccalaureate certificate in Gerontology from UNCG. In addition to baseball instruction Bake also provides continuing exercise therapy services for older adults.
He resides in Greensboro, NC where he has lived since 1987 (when he was a member of the Greensboro Hornets) with his wife, Sandy. He and Sandy have two children and three grandchildren.
– All CIF Southern California at Shortstop
– Yucaipa High School Hall Of Fame Inductee Class of 2010
– MVP in Twin Counties (San Bernardino/Riverside) All Star Classic
– Southern California USA Baseball Ambassador
– San Bernardino Valley College Inland Valley Rawlings All Conference at Second Base
– University of Nevada Team Record Most Double Plays
– MLB Draft 20th Round by Boston Red Sox
– Voted Team MVP Rookie League Season New York Penn League (NYP League)
– Tied Consecutive at-bat hits with 11 in Rookie League Season NYP League
– Invite to Winterball Instructional League leading team in hitting average
– Fortunate recipient of personal hitting and fielding instruction from Hall of Famers Cal Ripken, Carl Yastrzemski, and Ted Williams